Where to?

▼

Sunday, August 28, 2011

2011 Race for the CURE

In May 2010, I geared up to celebrate the 5 year anniversary of my breast cancer diagnosis. I set out to raise $5k to celebrate hitting the 5 year mark and, thanks to the support of many of you, I not only met but I exceeded that goal!

One month later, I received the devastating news that my cancer had not only returned, it had metastasized (spread) to my liver.

Down, but not out, I've spent the last year fighting like hell. I had a great response to the first chemo we tried -- bald but still smiling, I was able to give my body a break from the poison in February of this year. Mike and I celebrated by spending two weeks on safari in Kenya and I began playing ultimate frisbee again, taking the field at Master's Nationals with the lovely ladies of Crack'd. Unfortunately, the celebration was short-lived and the cancer has reared it's ugly head with a vengeance. I am back on chemo again and hoping to find another drug that will beat back the dragon.

Mike and I will be continuing our tradition of raising money for Komen, an organization that does wonderful work to drive awareness and early detection. We will be walking on October 2 and would like to invite all of you to join us. Please visit my page for more information: CLICK HERE
 
Of course... pink ribbons and 5ks, awareness and early detection are only a piece of the breast cancer puzzle. There is so much more we CAN do. So much more we MUST do to truly end breast cancer. Please consider also visiting/supporting these other worthy organizations that are focused on supporting women with breast cancer and research for Stage IV metastatic breast cancer:




No comments:

Post a Comment